A Half Day Excursion: Murano Glassblowing & Burano Lace-making
- Duration : 5 Hours (approx.)
Just a short boat ride from Venice’s bustling streets and canals lie the tiny, charming islands of Murano and Burano—both famous for the distinctive crafts that have been made for centuries by their resident artisans. This tour, which visits both the glass-making workshops of Murano and lace-making artisans of Burano, lets you learn about the history of these generations-old crafts, meet artisans and watch them at work, and shop for unique souvenirs to bring home. Accompanying you will be an expert, English-speaking guide whose knowledge illuminates the significance of these creative outposts.
What We Love About This Tour:
- Watching Murano glassmakers practice their craft, which has been handed down through generations of artisans
- Wandering among the charming streets of Burano, where lace-makers ply their trade inside brightly painted shops
- Choosing gifts and keepsakes to take home that have been handmade in these unique artistic enclaves
“We had an absolutely terrific guide. My wife and I truly enjoyed learning from her. In addition to showing us the Venetian lagoon, Murano and Burano, she helped us understand something about life in Venice today, and the challenges facing the city and its surroundings. We were grateful that she shared something of her life in Venice with us.”
-Gary, October 2015
Stop 1: MuranoAfter meeting your group at 2:30 p.m. near the San Zaccaria vaporetto stop, you’ll take the short boat ride to Murano—a tiny island known all over the world for its exquisitely elaborate colorful and glasswork. You’ll learn about the island’s history as a glassmaking enclave (which dates to the 13th century), visit an illustrious glass-making workshop, and watch a demonstration of how Murano glass is blown, colored, and shaped. You’ll also get to shop in the gallery boutique for glass pieces to bring or ship home.
Stop 2: Burano
You’ll find that your next destination, the enchanting island of Burano, delights even before you’ve stepped on shore; its canal-side
houses painted in bright, cheery colors are some of the most photographed sights around Venice. Once you’ve disembarked, though, you’ll get to experience Burano’s true claim to fame: its many shops where artisans painstakingly craft gorgeous handmade lace. You’ll have the chance to wander among these shops on your own, speaking to lace-makers and perhaps picking up some special souvenirs.
- Round-trip water taxi transport to both islands
- A 10-percent discount at a Murano glass workshop boutique
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Important to Know:
- Please be sure to arrive at the tour departure point 15 minutes before the starting time. Guests arriving after departure cannot be accommodated, and missed tours or tickets will not be refunded.
- Unfortunately, wheelchairs and strollers cannot be accommodated on this tour
- A Child ticket is mandatory ages from 2 to 14 years. Infants 1 year and under are free.
Important to Bring:
- Good walking shoes. This tour includes several sets of stairs.
- A hat, sunscreen, and bottled water. Many parts of the islands are unshaded.