Skip the Line: Colosseum by Night Underground Tour
- Duration: 3 Hours (approx.)
- Product code: CW_RO_CO_N
Great for history buffs and night owls, this remarkable tour of ancient Rome’s iconic amphitheater takes place once the sun goes down and crowds disperse. Your small group (with a maximum of 25 people) will get the chance to explore The Colosseum’s arcades and staging areas; you’ll also get exclusive access to its eerie subterranean passages. Guiding you here (and through the Roman Forum beforehand) will be an English-speaking history expert, whose knowledge brings the arena’s past to vivid life.
What We Love About This Tour:
- Strolling to The Colosseum in the evening, when sunset illuminates the Campidoglio and ruins of the Roman Forum
- Arriving at The Colosseum after visiting crowds have departed
- Exploring the arena’s spectator and staging areas—and its seldom-seen underground dungeons
“This was one of the highlights of our stay in Rome. Our tour guide was very informative and knowledgeable in history...there were no
crowds and we could actually hear what she had to say. Going underneath the building was awesome and gave a different perspective of what the Romans and gladiators did during the Colosseum events. We would highly recommend this tour for anyone who wishes to experience really stepping back in time.”
-Mary, January 2015
Stop 1: The Campidoglio and Roman Forum
After meeting your group at Trajan’s Column near sundown (7 or 9:20 p.m.), you’ll first climb the wide, graceful staircase that leads to Michelangelo’s Campidoglio: the beautiful piazza outside the Capitoline Museums, whose curved surface resembles the face of an egg.
From here, you’ll get a rare vantage point overlooking the Roman Forum (closed at this hour). Then, as the light fades, your
expert, English-speaking guide will lead you through the heart of Rome’s historic center, pointing out ancient temples and political venues along the way.
Stop 2: The Colosseum and Underground Chambers
Next, your group will head straight to The Colosseum: the extraordinary amphitheater that was ancient Rome’s center of public entertainment. Gladiatorial clashes, wild-animal fights, and mock-naval battles were once staged here; and today, you can still see remnants of the seating arcades that once fit 50,000 spectators, and the staging areas where the brutal spectacles took place. You’ll also get the rare—and spooky—opportunity to wander through the arena’s subterranean dungeons and passages, where lions were once help and gladiators prepared before combat.
- All entry fees
- Special Skip-the-Line access
- Headsets that insure you always hear your guide
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Important to Know:
- Please be sure to arrive at the tour departure point 15 minutes before the starting time. Guests arriving after departure cannot be accommodated, and missed tours or ticketswill not be refunded.
- Unfortunately, wheelchairs and strollers cannot be accommodated on this tour.
- Please note that one or more sites on this tour may occasionally experience last-minute, unforeseen closures. If this
occurs, your group will instead be treated to alternate arrangements. Tour refunds or discounts will not be provided.
- A small purse or camera bag only (no backpacks or large shoulder bags). Security checks at some sites restrict the size of bags that can be brought inside.
- Good walking shoes. The tour includes both hillside paths and stairs.