Getaway For A Day: Pompeii & Sorrento from Rome by High-Speed Train
- Duration: 12 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Rome, Lazio
- Product code: TRPOMSOR
About the Tour:
Great for history buffs and photographers, this unique tour lets you take in both of the Campania region’s most famous sights: the uniquely preserved ancient city of Pompeii, which was buried by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in the 1st century. Afterwards you'll board the Campania Express train to Sorrento to take in this beaufiul village and sample the limoncello. Accompanying you will be an expert, English-speaking guide, whose knowledge will deepen your appreciation of these remarkable destinations.
What We Love About This Tour:
- Relaxing, comfortable high-speed trains getting you from Rome all the way to Sorrento and back.
- Beautiful coastal vistas from the Sorrento village.
- Wandering among the vast and haunting ruins at Pompeii, an entire 1st-century city that was entombed in volcanic ash from an ancient eruption
Stop 1: Rome Termini to Naples
You’ll begin your journey at 7:15 a.m. at Rome Termini train station, once you’ve boarded your high-speed train to Naples. After the 1.15-hour ride, you’ll meet your guide at Naples Centrale and transfer the Campania Express train for your ride into the Campania region.
Stop 2: Pompeii
When the volcano of Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79 A.D., it not only completely buried this adjacent city—it preserved it. Today, the excavated ruins here comprise one of the most remarkable ancient sites in the world. Along with your guide, you’ll get to roam here through the temples, houses, theaters, and even brothels where ancient Pompeiians once spent their days—and even see the plaster casts of their remains. After your tour, you’ll board your coach once more for the trip back to Naples, and your train to Rome.
Stop 3: Sorrento
Stroll the alley's and squares of this enchanting town, homeland of the world famous Limoncello, a liquor made witht the fragrant leomos of the area. The town is perched above the sea giving you breath-taking view of the Bay of Naples and magical sunsets.
- High-speed round-trip train tickets between Rome Termini and Naples Centrale
- Campania Express round trip tickets between Pompeii and Sorrento
- Entry fee to Pompeii
- Limoncello tasting
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Important to Know:
- Price is based on a minimum of 2 participants
- Please be sure to arrive at the tour departure point 15 minutes before the starting time. Guests arriving after departure cannot be accommodated, and missed tours or tickets will not be refunded.
- Unfortunately, wheelchairs and strollers cannot be accommodated on this tour.
Important to Bring:
- Good walking shoes. The tour includes both hillside paths and stairs.
- A hat, sunscreen, and bottled water. Many parts of the itinerary are not shaded.