Colosseum & Ancient Rome: Afternoon No-Wait Tour, Large Group
- Duration: 3 Hours (approx.)
- Product code: PV1LNV
About the Tour:
What We Love About This Tour:
- Delving into the fascinating—and bloody—history of The Colosseum, the iconic amphitheater of ancient Rome
- Discovering the hub of the ancient city, the Roman Forum—once home to bustling markets, festivals, temples, and senatorial debates
- Wandering among the ruined emperors’ palaces and still-blooming gardens of Palatine Hill, the oldest of the Seven Hills of Rome
- Skipping entry lines to spend more time sightseeing
OTHER OPTIONS Check out these different tour sizes and departure times:
- Colosseum Small Group - from $65; ItaliaPass member from $58
- Colosseum Semi-Private Group AM - from $67; ItaliaPass member from $60
- Colosseum Semi-Private Group PM - from $67; ItaliaPass member from $60
- Alt Time: Colosseum Large Group AM - from $50; ItaliaPass member from $45
Stop 1: Palatine Hill
According to legend, the twins Romulus and Remus first decided to begin building the city of Rome atop this impressive hill (the most famous of the city’s Seven Hills). Here, you’ll get to walk among ruined emperors’ palaces, and the still-verdant plantings of the Farnese Garden (one of Europe’s first botanical gardens). You’ll also enjoy the hill’s sweeping views over the nearby Forum, Colosseum, and Circus Maximus (a grand sporting arena where chariot races were held).
Stop 2: The Colosseum
Next, your group will head straight to The Colosseum: the extraordinary amphitheater that was ancient Rome’s center of public entertainment. Gladiatorial clashes, wild-animal fights, and mock-naval battles were once staged here; and today, you can still see remnants of the seating arcades that once fit 50,000 spectators, and the staging areas where the brutal spectacles took place.
Stop 3: The Roman Forum
The onetime cultural, economic, and political center of ancient Rome, the Roman Forum still retains its grandeur today. You’ll walk along the Via Sacra, a path once lined with bustling market stalls, tracing the paths of ancient military processions and political rallies. You’ll also see important sites like the Temple of Julius Caesar (which still contains the altar where the emperor’s body was ceremonially burned), and the Curia Julia—the still-intact Senate House where Cicero and Mark Antony once orated.
- All entry fees
- Special Skip-the-Line access
- Headsets that insure you always hear your guide
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Important to Know:
- Please be sure to arrive at the tour departure point 15 minutes before the starting time. Guests arriving after departure cannot be accommodated, and missed tours or tickets will not be refunded.
- Unfortunately, wheelchairs and strollers cannot be accommodated on this tour.
- Please note that one or more sites on this tour may occasionally experience last-minute, unforeseen closures. If this occurs, your group will instead be treated to alternate arrangements. Tour refunds or discounts will not be provided.
Important to Bring:
- A small purse or camera bag only (no backpacks or large shoulder bags). Security checks at some sites restrict the size of bags that can be brought inside.
- Good walking shoes. The tour includes both hillside paths and stairs.
- A hat, sunscreen, and bottled water. Many parts of the itinerary are not shaded.