Getaway for A Day: Pompeii & Mount Vesuvius Day Trip from Rome by High-Speed Train
- Duration: 13 Hours (approx.)
- Product code: TRPOMVES
About the Tour:
The ruined city of Pompeii, which was buried by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in the 1st century, is one of the most haunting and awe-inspiring ancient sites in the world. Your full-day tour provides an in-depth exploration of this singular site—and the rooms, streets, and temples where its residents spent their final moments. After your tour of pompeii you'll be taken to the top of Mount Vesuvius crater. Where you'll enjoy a hike to the craters edge and magical views across the bay of Naples with Capri, Sorrento and Ischia in the distance. Accompanying you will be an English-speaking guide, whose knowledge helps bring this unique site to vibrant life.
What We Love About This Tour:
- Wandering among the streets, temples, homes, and streets of the ancient city, which was entombed in ash after the 1st-century eruption of Mount Vesuvius
- Learning about the lives of long-ago Pompeiians, who left behind extraordinary evidence of their art and culture
- Beautiful vista views atop the "killer volcano" crater.
- Riding on a Frecciarossa high-speed train and returning to Rome with plenty more time to explore
You’ll begin your journey at 7:15 a.m. at Rome Termini train station, once you’ve boarded your high-speed train to Naples. After the 1.5 hour ride, you’ll meet your guide at Naples Centrale and transfer to the Campania Express train to Pompeii.
Stop 2: Pompeii
When the volcano of Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79 A.D., it not only completely buried this adjacent city—it preserved it. Today, the excavated ruins here comprise one of the most extraordinary ancient sites in the world. Along with your guide, you’ll roam here through the temples, houses, theaters, baths, and even brothels where ancient city residents spent their days. You'll also see the plaster casts of human remains, which eerily depict the poses—and even facial expressions—of Pompeiians in their final moments.
Stop 3: Mount Vesuvius
After your tour of the Pompeii City, you'll jetted away via an all-terrain vehicle to the top of Mt Vesuvius where you be hiking to the crater. This is a gentle trail but the views are incredible of the bay of Naples with Capri, Sorrento and Ischia in the distance.
- Greeter at the Rome Termini Station
- Round trip train tickets from Rome to Pompeii
- Round trip transport to Mount Vesuvius
- Skip the line entrance to Pompeii excavations.
- Expert english speaking guide
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Important to Know:
- Price is based on a minimum of 2 participants
- Please be sure to arrive at the tour departure point 15 minutes before the starting time. Guests arriving after departure cannot be accommodated, and missed tours or tickets will not be refunded.
- Unfortunately, wheelchairs and strollers cannot be accommodated on this tour.
Important to Bring:
- Good walking shoes. The tour includes both hillside paths and stairs.
- A hat, sunscreen, and bottled water. Many parts of the itinerary are not shaded.