Roman Crypts and Catacombs Tour
- Duration: 4 Hours (approx.)
- Product code: CW_RO_CC_G_E
Some of Rome’s oldest and most extraordinary sights lie deep beneath its city streets. This unique tour brings your small group (with a maximum of 20 people) through its three most fascinating—and spooky—underground complexes: the ancient tomb-lined Roman catacombs; the ruined, 2nd-century temple under the Basilica of San Clemente; and the “Bone Chapel” of the Capuchin Crypt, festooned with thousands of bones and skulls. Guiding you will be an English-speaking history expert, whose knowledge illuminates the stories and significance of these remarkable sites.
What We Love About This Tour:
- Getting rare access to some of Rome’s most unusual, subterranean sites—without waiting in entry queues Glimpsing some of the city’s most ancient ruins—including a city street with a still-functioning aqueduct—at the Basilica of San Clemente
- Taking in the macabre—but bewitching—tombs and remains of the Roman Catacombs and “Bone Chapel” of Capuchin Crypt
“Our guide did a fantastic job of not only describing what we were looking at, but also diving into the historical significance of each
stop we visited. He went out of his way to take the extra time to really let everyone in the group understand what and why these venues were important to ancient and modern Rome.”
-Chad, January 2016Tour Itinerary:
Stop 1: Roman Catacombs
After meeting your guide at Piazza Barberini, you’ll head to your first underground destination: the Roman catacombs. This network of tunnels, nearly 2,000 years old, was where many of the first Christians
Layers of history lie beneath this grand basilica. The grand medieval building that sits at street level is in fact undergirded by a much
older, 12th-century church—which in turn sits atop a truly ancient temple dating to the earliest days of Rome.
Stop 3: Capuchin Crypt (or “Bone Chapel”)
Easily the spookiest of Rome’s underground sites, the “Bone Chapel” of the Capuchin Crypt comprises five rooms whose walls are decorated with thousands of skulls and bones. Although the provenance of these is known—the bones are mostly the remains of centuries-old Capuchin monks—you’ll learn that their peculiar, ornamental arrangement here is still a mystery.What’s Included:
- All entry fees
- Special Skip-the-Line access
- Comfortable, air-conditioned coach transport between tour sites
- Headsets that insure you always hear your guide
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Please be sure to arrive at the tour departure point 15 minutes before the starting time. Guests arriving after departure cannot be accommodated, and missed tours or tickets will not be refunded.
- Unfortunately, wheelchairs and strollers cannot be accommodated on this tour.
- Please note that photography is prohibited inside The Sistine Chapel. Non-flash photography is permitted on all other parts of the tour.
- Please note that one or more sites may occasionally experience last-minute closures for religious ceremonies. If this occurs,
your group will instead be treated to alternate arrangements. Tour refunds or discounts will not be provided.
Important to Bring:
- A small purse or camera bag only (no backpacks or large shoulder bags). Security checks at some sites restrict the size of bags that can be brought inside.
- Clothing that covers your knees and shoulders. Entry into basilicas requires adherence to these dress codes.
- Good walking shoes. This tour includes several sets of stairs.